11 Nov Senior IT Engineer
As the Senior IT Engineer, you will be part of the wider IT team of a successful Academy. You
will act as a point of contact for technical escalation, and ensure the appropriate service levels
are maintained, and that the systems are reliable.
Our client aims to offer a responsive IT service to assist in providing the best possible teaching
and learning experience. Excellent customer service is a must, as you will be an essential
member of a well-established IT team.
This is a full time role (Monday to Friday) and offers a competitive salary. The position involves
working with children and a satisfactory enhanced disclosure will be required from the
Disclosure and Barring Service. The client is based across two sites, and so occasional travel
may be required.
You will be accountable to the IT Team Leader, and you will assist in the development and
delivery of our client’s IT strategy, including day to day support and development work. Your
role may also require you to be involved in the IT vision and strategy, to ensure it meets the
requirements of our client, and is viable from a technical and IT support perspective.
The successful candidate will need to maintain excellent working relationships with both internal
and external staff and suppliers.
The responsibilities of the role fall into 2 categories: 80% of the role will be operational duties,
and 20% of the role will comprise of project and development duties.
- Provide a high quality and professional IT service through delivering day to day and
proactive IT support to all users.
- Ensure requests are actioned in line with Help Desk procedures (including out of hours
- Support, maintain, and manage a wide range of technical systems associated with the
client’s devices and infrastructure.
- Develop, embed and manage methods of working practices.
- Encourage users to adopt good IT practice and ensure correct and appropriate use of
- Taking part in business continuity and disaster recovery implementation.
- Work collaboratively with staff to understand their ongoing technology requirements,
support in the development of the IT strategy and ongoing IT operations planning and
- Maintain and manage an up to date asset register, and documentation (including
maintenance contracts and warranties) of all relevant IT and AV systems and hardware,
software, and audio-visual equipment.
- Support and maintain all client-owned user technology including desktops, software,
laptops, printers, and mobile technology.
- Check IT equipment to log any faults and damage
- Technical duties primarily in connection with maintaining, upgrading, and replacing IT
- Test equipment and support internal and external events where IT support is required.
- Act as an escalation role for the first line support staff.
- Provide second and third-line support, and first line support when needed.
- Escalate challenges to the IT Team Lead, Director of IT or third party as applicable.
- Perform Server and Application updates in-line with the requirements of the client.
- Action routine network configuration changes in accordance with client procedures (e.g.
VLAN changes for room moves, changing of account settings).
- Aid in the moving of equipment.
- Assign work, provide direction and support the IT Technicians and Apprentices to enable
achievement of objectives - whilst maintaining accountability.
- Identify and meet the needs of all key stakeholders to deliver a high-quality service.
- Track, review and assess new and evolving hardware technologies and make
recommendations on how they should be incorporated.
Project and development duties:
- Work with the team to identify IT service improvements.
- Support the successful delivery of new projects or developments.
- Participate in planning processes and provide feedback on these as the year
- Drive personal continued professional development in line with the client’s CPD model
and IT requirements.
Essential Qualifications, Experience and Knowledge:
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in supporting, developing, and maintaining IT systems
and infrastructure (preferably in a school environment).
- Knowledge of current best practice, products, and statutory requirements, including IT
health and safety, GDPR and copyright.
- Up to date knowledge and experience of the following:
- Microsoft Server technologies (including Active Directory, ADFS, RADIUS and
- Office 365 (including user management, Exchange and Teams administration).
- Microsoft desktop operating systems and applications.
- Storage Area Networks (SAN) environments.
- Dell networks and configuration.
- Tablet deployment / management.
- Apple OS X solutions.
- Virtual LAN and network virtualisation (Hyper-V).
- Wired and Wireless Networking including topologies, switch configurations and
- Extensive knowledge of the computer environment and the ability to identify,
troubleshoot and resolve problems.
- Knowledge and understanding of a broad range of web, data handling and presentation
- Ability to explain technical issues to nontechnical key stakeholders.
- Experience of working collaboratively with teachers & other professionals.
- Comfortable adjusting and adapting working practices to accommodate requirement
- Ability to learn new technologies outside of traditional practice based on the strategic
- An understanding of child protection issues.
- Ability to use an analytical approach to diagnose and solve technical problems.
- Ability to make informed judgments, take appropriate action and accept responsibility for
- Work well under pressure, prioritising work to meet deadlines, whilst maintaining a
professional service to the client and users.
Desirable qualifications and experience:
- MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7/8 or MCITP: Windows 7 or Windows 8,
Enterprise Desktop Support Technician.
- MCSA Office 365 certified.
- Experience of working in an environment that serves young people.
- Experience and knowledge of Office 365 in the classroom (Microsoft Teams/Classroom).
- ITIL Foundation V3 or ITIL based methodologies.
- Knowledge of School MIS system (SIMS.net).
Want to know more?
As a specialist IT recruitment agency, at GreatFind Recruitment, we genuinely care about our
candidates and clients. We strive to provide a personalised and consultative service and we
would be more than happy to chat to you about this role in more detail.